Поиск

В разделе:  

Друзья сайта
Коллекционирование -> Общие вопросы -> Meeting with Bulent Arabacioglu
fenerbahCHE2011-02-28 16:01:04

Из: Turkey

Серьёзный коллекционер

A few weeks ago i was in Istanbul and i had a very nice meeting with Bulent Arabacioglu, the creator of Tipitip. I was happy to see him still very excited about tipitip, 37 years after drawing the first wrapper. I think if Kent had plans to continue Tipitip, he was ready to create new adventures of our little guy.

I also have to say he is a famous person in the media and cartoon world in Turkey, not only with Tipitip, but also with certain characters he created in newspapers, humour magazines etc. Actually a certain character called ‘Ridvan, The most heroic hero’ might be more famous than Tipitip here. Ridvan is a cartoon character who is very skinny, clumsy, who cant do anything right but he thinks he is Conan the Barbarian in his mind..

I found him as a modest person who took time to meet me. We talked about couple hours, of course mostly about tipitip.

I would like to share with you certain things we talked about:

- The discussion about the first series being 1-70 or 1-100 or more is over. It was 1-70 for sure.

- Also the discussion about the starting year of Tipitip is over. It was 1975, not 1974 like I thought. I asked him why did many people think 1974; he said because he did the first series in 1974. In other words he prepared all 70 drawings in 1974 and gave them to Kent, but when Kent printed the wrappers and gave them to shops it was already 1975.

- When Tipitip first appeared in shops he had gone to the military service already, he was 24 years old.

- The first series 1-70 always seemed a little bit better quality than the later series to me. I always thought that was very strange as the time passes usually the wrapper paper quality gets better especially in older ones. He explained to me that Kent had the first series printed in Germany as the technology did not exist in Turkey at the time. But after the first series printing wrappers was possible in Turkey.

- Over the years he created other gum series for Kent, These were also by him among others : Atomik, Poptip, Deli Dolu, Pola, Mino.. many years he worked alone for Kent but in the last 10 or more years Kent had a team of drawers and graphic designers under his direction. For example most of Toybox is created by these younger people.

- Late 70’s when Kent prepared the Tipitip Newspaper for kids, the mailing had to be done for about 80, 000 kids.. The post Office refused to put stamps and cancel the stamps! They gave Kent the stamps and the machine to cancel the stamps and told them to do it themselves..!!

- When Cadbury/Craft bought Kent they decided to stop Tipitip, Turbo, Minti as they thought these are not universal brands..!!!

- He still has some of his original black and white drawings of certain Tipitip wrappers, including several from the first series.

- Cincin was produced after the popularity of Tipitip. Kent did not like this and went to the court against Cincin and Dandy. They argued it was an imitation of Tipitip, especially with similar ‘i’ sounds. Kent won the court case and the production of Cincin was stopped..
Pasha2011-02-28 16:31:49
Из: Украина, город Чернигов

Собиратель

Ali, thanks a lot!
 denis2011-02-28 17:47:40

Из: Московская область

Коллекционер

Thank you, Ali!
Very interesting information.
Now we know more about this hero)))
лёха2011-02-28 18:29:12

Из: СССР

Коллекционер

And that is talking Bulent Arabacioglu about numbers tipitip 941-986?
 JX2502011-02-28 18:33:31

Матёрый коллекционер

SUPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eskander2011-02-28 23:01:15

ПУСТОМЕЛЯ
Из: Ukraine, Kyiv.

Коллекционер

Ali, did you make a photo with him?
fenerbahCHE2011-03-01 12:08:33

Из: Turkey

Серьёзный коллекционер

I made a photo but it seems i cannot reduce to 32000 to place here. The photo becomes as small as 1cm...!

First of all we have to understand that he is not a collector like us, but an artist who worked for Kent, and of course he was never directly responsible from the gum production, that was Kent people. He only created the wrapper drawings on paper and gave them to Kent. After that wrapper printing was done using his drawings.

The first 20 or so years he worked for different places, Kent was one of them. But for example he was also the leading cartoonist for the top daily newspaper Hurriyet drawing comic strips in those years.

He has many tipitip but not all of them. But he told me he has almost all duldul. (Another serie created by him). Understandably he cares more for his original drawings, as they are unique and drawn only once, and its his personal history. In other words his archive is about his career as an artist.

Neverthless i asked him about 941-986, why are they the hardest tipitip to find, even harder than the first 1-70 series. He guessed ( and probably right ) that late 90's were the period when the kent gum sales were going down and because of very cheap competiton from 3-man companies. (Ersa, gökma, karsa etc. could easily produce low quality gums and sell them half the kent prices.) So the poduction was in small numbers, and for a short period of time, and also probably Kent did not want to spend extra money for exportation.
Рейтинг@Mail.ru